Re: keyboard for emacs?

From: Alexey Pustyntsev
Subject: Re: keyboard for emacs?
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2006 12:51:18 +1000

Hi all!

I am not a Mac OS X user (I run Gentoo), but I successfully changed the
qwerty layout into dvorak. I just created a brand new file named
dvorak-ru, put it into /etc/X11/xkb/symbols/pc and set the Option
"XkbLayout" to "dvorak, dvorak-ru" in the xorg.conf file. As you have
correctly guessed, Mr. Dvorak did not invented his layout for Russians,
so that was custom re-mapping of almost the whole keyboard, not just 2
keys.

It seems to me the above method should work for any unix-like OS. Have
a look at the syntax of the files like 'dvorak' or 'latin' in the
~/xkb directory. It is very simple. You could even write your own bash
(python/perl) script so that your layout swaps upside down as soon as
your display gets locked while you are away  :) (not a 'silver
bullet', of course, but that can make the snooper's life  a little
bit more complicated) ! You get the idea.

geary@fnord.io.com (Mark Geary) writes:

> Does anyone know how to do this on Mac OS X? Swapping the CapsLock and
> the left Ctrl key only (leaving the right Ctrl as is)?
>
> Mark Geary

Off-topic: I am very pleased to join the GNU Emacs community. Let me
wish all of you well in the New Year.

--
Rgds
Alexey