Re: enable-local-variables

From: Eric Twietmeyer
Subject: Re: enable-local-variables
Date: 1 Jan 2007 14:27:12 -0800

Ralf Angeli wrote:
> * Eric Twietmeyer (2007-01-01) writes:
>
> > I just upgraded to emacs 22.0.92.1.  I write C++ code and there is a
> > local variable "typedefs" that is used for syntax highlighting.  Now
> > that I have upgraded I find that every buffer I open that has this
> > local variable "typedefs" in it I am presented with a dialog asking
> > that I confirm that the local variable is "safe".
> [...]
> > However, there doesn't appear to be any way to specify that the local
> > variable "typedefs" should always be accepted as safe, regardless of
> > its values.  Each C++ file I visit will have a different value of
> > "typedefs", so I can't in any reasonable way create a var, val cons
> > list of safe values.  It would be thousands of entries long.
>
> You can specify a function as a symbol property for the variable.  The
> function is supposed to check if the values given to the variable have
> the correct type.  Since you didn't write which kind of values are
> supposed to be assigned to the variable, it is not possible to give a
> specific advice.
>
> I'd also be interested in knowing which package or code uses the
> variable before giving you a means to shoot yourself in the foot.
>
> --
> Ralf

Here is what the text looks like at the bottom of a typical C++ file I
edit:

/*
Local Variables:
typedefs:("boost" "noncopyable" "shared_ptr" "size_t" "std" "string"
"tCursorIPtr" "tDestroyI" "tEndian" "tStreamI" "tStreamIPtr" "wchar_t"
"wstring")
End:
*/

So the value of "typedefs" is just a list of quoted symbols.  This list
changes from file to file.  It is used by the syntax highlighting code
in C/C++ mode.

The question therefore remains, what can I do so that all such values
of typedefs are always considered "safe".  I'm not certain why this is
being flagged in the first place, as the documentation I saw about
ricky variables indicates that their name should end in some special
characters, and my typedefs do not end in such characters.  So I have
been confused from the start why this is marked as risky in the first
place and therefore why I am being queried about it each time I open
the file.

Thanks again,

-Eric Twietmeyer