Re: enable-local-variables

From: Ralf Angeli
Subject: Re: enable-local-variables
Date: Mon, 01 Jan 2007 23:50:42 +0100

* Eric Twietmeyer (2007-01-01) writes:

> Ralf Angeli wrote:
>>
>> I'd also be interested in knowing which package or code uses the
>> variable before giving you a means to shoot yourself in the foot.
>
> Here is what the text looks like at the bottom of a typical C++ file I
> edit:
>
> /*
> Local Variables:
> typedefs:("boost" "noncopyable" "shared_ptr" "size_t" "std" "string"
> "tCursorIPtr" "tDestroyI" "tEndian" "tStreamI" "tStreamIPtr" "wchar_t"
> "wstring")
> End:
> */
>
> So the value of "typedefs" is just a list of quoted symbols.

Then
(put 'typedefs 'safe-local-variable 'listp)
should work.

> This list
> changes from file to file.  It is used by the syntax highlighting code
> in C/C++ mode.

I couldn't find anything regarding "typedefs" in Emacs' sources.
Which mode is this and who is maintaining it?  Could you inform those
people that they should mark the variable as safe (in case it really
is) in their mode?

> The question therefore remains, what can I do so that all such values
> of typedefs are always considered "safe".  I'm not certain why this is
> being flagged in the first place, as the documentation I saw about
> ricky variables indicates that their name should end in some special
> characters, and my typedefs do not end in such characters.  So I have
> been confused from the start why this is marked as risky in the first
> place and therefore why I am being queried about it each time I open
> the file.

All unknown variables are considered risky in CVS Emacs.

--
Ralf