Re: postscript output?

From: James Cloos
Subject: Re: postscript output?
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2007 16:35:39 -0500

Jan> I have done this and I get a buffer called *Postscript*.  Is it
Jan> possible to preview this buffer in Emacs in another buffer?

So you want to see what the generated PostScript code will print out
when sent to a printer?

You could, in that *Postscript* buffer, hit:

    M-<  C-@  M->  M-|

and then type out the command:

    gv -

gv should then bring up a X window with the rendered PS.

You may need C-Space for C-@.

If you don't have gv installed, you may be able to do that with
another viewer.

You can also make a macro from those keystrokes, name it, and bind
that to a key sequence if you will use if often.

Or you can write a quick lisp function that switches to *Postscript*
and calls (shell-command-on-region (point-min) (point-max) "gv -").

To get the output into an Emacs buffer, you'd have to call gs rather
than gv, specifying one of the image backends Emacs can grok, and have
that output to a buffer.  It is doable, but I'd need to bone up on the
docs to figure it out.

-JimC
--
James Cloos <cloos@jhcloos.com>         OpenPGP: 1024D/ED7DAEA6