questions about columns

From: address@hidden
Subject: questions about columns
Date: 11 Jan 2007 10:54:14 -0800

I need to make the text version of my resume slim so it can fit into
online forms and look nice.  I tried M-x set-fill-prefix which seems to
work but M-x set-fill-column gives me the error:
set-fill-column requires an explicit argument
but doesn't give me a chance to set it.  How do I?

Also, is there a way from within emacs to do something like the "pr"
command (formats text into columns of a given width and page length)?
In other words, can emacs massage text into a newspaper-like format?

I'm using version:
XEmacs 21.4 (patch 19) "Constant Variable" [Lucid] (i486-linux-gnu,
Mule) of Fri Nov  3 2006 on penell

Thanks!