Re: Emacs 22 problems with split init file

From: Tim X
Subject: Re: Emacs 22 problems with split init file
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2007 17:42:43 +1100

> Am 14.01.2007 um 08:36 schrieb Tim X:
>
>> I wanted to break up my .emacs file so that I can run either emacs  22 or
>> emacs
>> 21.
>
> I have a different layout, which also puts the customisation (or
> desktop/session settings) into different files – and I suppose it's  the
> customisation that leads to your crashes (I really have no  customisation in
> ~/.emacs and neither a *common* customisation file):
>
>       (defconst mWS (symbol-value 'window-system)
>         "Running as some windowing system's client,
>          or as slave of a terminal emulator?")
>       (setq custom-file (format "~/.emacs-Abrichtung-%d.el" emacs-major-
> version))
>       (load custom-file)
>       (load (format "~/.emacs_%s" mWS))
>
> In ~/.emacs blocks are built for different Emacs versions.
>

> I'd recommend to remove ~/.emacs-custom.el and put its contents into  both
> ~/.emacs2?-custom.el files.
>
> --

Thanks Pete. Actually, I have my custom variable stuff in two different files
already - one for emacs22 and one for emacs 21. The emacs-custom.el file is a
catch-all in case things were not working and theoretically, should never get
called or have anything written into it. However, I do suspect it is something
related to the customize stuff which is causeing the seg faults.

Tim

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au