Re: recentf-mode works 'by hand' but not if started from .emacs

From: Greg Bognar
Subject: Re: recentf-mode works 'by hand' but not if started from .emacs
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2007 22:22:45 -0500

On Mon, 15 Jan 2007 18:44:14 -0500, Roland Rau wrote:

> Greg Bognar wrote:

>> Why do you want to bind it to any key?  You should just put the code in
>> your .emacs, and use the submenu of the file menu to open recent files.
>> Does that work?
>
> When I included the aforementioned code snipped in my .emacs file, I had
> the same behavior again as I had in my initial post. So I decided to map
> it to one key and then, surprisingly, everything works...

Do you have the file that holds the list of recent files, that is,
~/.Emacs/.recentfiles (or whatever you set that variable or, if you don't
set it, ~/.recentf, which I think is that default)?  Have you modified the
menus?  What happens if you run Emacs with an ~/.emacs which only
contains the line (recentf-mode 1)?  Do you get the submenu in the File
menu?