Re: Emacs 'destroys' latex files

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Emacs 'destroys' latex files
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2007 23:49:57 +0100

Maarten Bergvelt <bergv@math.uiuc.edu> writes:

> In article <1168965020.972207.75690@51g2000cwl.googlegroups.com>, Pseudo
> wrote:
>> maybe this is a stuid newbe question, but since some time my
>> GNU Emacs 21.4.1 (on a debian machine) behaves in a way that it
>> displays greek letters or symbols as they do appear in a printed form.
>> I admit, that this looks quite pretty, but when saving one encounters a
>
> Hm, are you using preview-latex or something?

Pulease.  preview-latex does not touch the buffer at all unless you
explicitly ask it.  Packages that are less careful not to annoy the
user unless he explicitly asks for it:

talcum.  Does not change the buffer, but changes the appearance.
However, I doubt that talcum would start acting in a way that people
don't want without being asked it, either.

x-symbol.  Probably the culprit here.  Actually changes the buffer.
There is some minor mode indicator for its presence.

Then there are some iso-cvt-functions which can be enabled when

Of all those, I think the probability is highest that x-symbol does
this sort of interference if you install it as a Debian package.