Re: Customizing coding priority

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Customizing coding priority
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2007 06:20:57 +0200

> From: Sven Bretfeld <sven.bretfeld@relwi.unibe.ch>
> Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2007 23:44:42 +0100
> Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
>  >
>  > How did you insert those umlauts, exactly?  And what does Emacs
>  > display if you go to one of those characters and type "C-u C-x ="?
>
> I've already tried this today. It's quite interesting. The umlauts in
> the quotations are displayed in a font different from the rest
> (somewhat smaller and bolder). These are said to be part of the
> iso-8859-15 charset when I type C-u C-x = (just as expected). All
> other characters are plain ascii (ASCII (ISO646 IRV)). It is different
> outside of quotations. When I add my own text after a quotation all
> umlauts I type belong to latin-iso8859-1.

You didn't answer my first question: how these umlauts were produced.
Did you copy them from another text, perhaps?  And how is the way you
produced those umlauts differs from the way you type the
latin-iso8859-1 characters after the quotation?

Anyway, this mixing of latin-iso8859-1 and iso-8859-15 _is_, most
probably, your problem.  Assuming you use Emacs 21.x (is that right?),
Emacs is trying to do what it cannot do in v21.x: encode 8859-1 and
8859-15 characters in the same message.  That is why you get
iso-2022-jp encoding.

> To my understanding this means that Emacs is unable to translate
> umlauts belonging to iso-8859-15 to the default charset I use for
> umlauts when writing replies, i.e. iso-8859-1.

In v21.x, it cannot.

> Therefore the umlauts
> in quotations are kept untranslated in the coding system of the
> original sender, i.e. iso-8859-15. This mixture of iso-8859-15 in
> quotations and iso-8859-1 in the text typed by myself seems to disturb
> Emacs so that it encodes the entire umlauts of my reply as iso-2022-jp
> when sending it.

Correct.

> I concluded that I have to avoid iso-8859-1 completely in replies and
> use umlauts belonging to iso-8859-15 also for my own part of the
> text. But this doesn't work for some reason. I've tried to change the
> coding system and the input method of the reply buffer manually to
> iso-8859-15 (using C-x f RET and C-x RET C-\) but the umlauts I type
> always come as iso-8859-1.

C-x RET f does not affect the characters you type.  You should try to
set an input method (with C-u C-\) that produces iso-8859-15
characters, if there is such an input method in Emacs 21.x.