Re: Customizing coding priority

From: Sven Bretfeld
Subject: Re: Customizing coding priority
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2007 17:12:48 +0100

Hi Eli, hi list

Eli Zaretskii writes:
 > You didn't answer my first question: how these umlauts were produced.
 > Did you copy them from another text, perhaps?  And how is the way you
 > produced those umlauts differs from the way you type the
 > latin-iso8859-1 characters after the quotation?

I hope I get your question right. The umlauts that are encoded in
iso-8859-15 appear in the mail by executing the function
vm-reply-include-text. It is bound to the R-key when in an
Mailbox-Summary buffer in vm. It sets up an answer to the email under
the point citing the content of the original. The cited text keeps
umlauts encoded in iso-8859-15. Thus, it is an automatical function
not under direct control of the user. But I think, this must be the
place from where a possible solution has to set out. Namely, I need to
tell Emacs to translate iso-8859-15 encoded characters to iso-8859-1
when executing vm-reply-include-text. Regretably, I have no idea how
to do that.

Anyway, what Peter and Tom remark sounds strange. There must be some
difference in the umlauts of the two coding systems, at least for
Emacs. Because the iso-8859-15 umlauts of the cited text alway look
different from the ones I type in iso-8859-1. The former are displayed
in another font. Maybe it has to do with my general KDE-settings? I
live in Switzerland and we don't need the Euro character at
all. Possibly iso-8859-15 isn't installed on the system (anyway, I use
utf-8 as default for all KDE programs and for Emacs). Does Emacs
inherit parts of its own coding configuration from KDE? Just because I
wonder why iso-8859-15 does not appear in the list when I execute
describe-coding-system. Also, when I change the coding system using
M-x prefer-coding-system iso-8859-15 and type äöü, these characters
are described as belonging to iso-8559-1 when I check them with C-u
C-x =. Maybe iso-8859-15 is not supported fully with my present
Emacs configuration? Can this be the problem?

Sorry, guys. I really like to have this problem solved. I like vm as my
Email client and I don't want to change. I experimented with mutt
yesterday but I didn't fall in love with it as much as I did with
vm. Emacs rules!

Eli, do you think the problem wouldn't exist in Emacs 22? I use 21
from the standard package of Debian Etch.

Thank you for helping me

Sven