Re: Why do I need to eval this?

From: Arnaldo Mandel
Subject: Re: Why do I need to eval this?
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2007 10:46:40 -0200

B. T. Raven wrote (on Jan 17, 2007):

 > I think is has to be a coding system problem.

I cannot understand how that would come to be.  Can you (or somebody
else) give me a hint of why it goes wrong?

 >                                               I copy pasted your lisp code
 > into a buffer and then saved the buffer with an .el extension. After M-x
 > load-file and M-x crases it worked for changing all the grave accents to
 > tildes in the lisp source. I would recommend that you change your default
 > encoding to utf-8.

I have always uses emacs --unibyte, and everything here is iso8859-1
encoded.  I suppose it would be a real PITA moving to utf-8.

Anyway, I solved my problem reimplementing the function in a less
elegant way (used substring searches instead of the assoc list).  So,
what remains is just to get a real understanding of what went wrong.
I do not like to see (apparent) bugs going away by simple finesse, I
want to be able to really avoid them.

am

--
Arnaldo Mandel