Re: How to apply a minor mode to all buffers

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: How to apply a minor mode to all buffers
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2007 18:24:59 +0200

> Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2007 08:30:31 -0800
> From: "James Aguilar" <aguilar.james@gmail.com>
> Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
>
> On 1/19/07, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:
> >
> > Actually, I'm not surprised at all that this functionality is missing . .
> > .
>
> Hmm, I figured that there might be a rationale.  However, if that is true,
> then why are there global minor modes like global-font-lock-mode?

There are exceptions to every rule.

> This applies to several programming languages, text files, configuration
> files, and even non-files (I have a personal aversion to >80 chars in all
> files I edit).  Since my only use for emacs is to edit these kinds of files,
> I'd like to have a guard at the end so that I can know when I'm over the
> line.

Then mode hooks are probably the way to go.  I doubt that you use too
many major modes, so this boils down to crafting a dozen or so mode
hooks in your .emacs file.  For the few exceptions, you can always
turn on the mode by hand.

You said you thought using mode hooks looks like a hack, but in fact
that is the normal Emacs way of accomplishing such goals.