Re: Does grep work in Windows

From: Lennart Borgman (gmail)
Subject: Re: Does grep work in Windows
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2007 23:38:24 +0100

Graham Smith wrote:
In emacs 22 on windows should grep work?

I am typing m-x grep which opens a line in the mini buffer that says

Run grep (like this): grep -n

and a message saying:  Grep started at Tue Jan 23 21:19:22

I then add, as shown in the grepmode wiki the following to the mini buffer

-e setq ~/.emacs

giving me a full line in the minibuffer of
Run grep (like this): grep -n -e setq ~/.emacs

hit return and get a message that says

'grep' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

Can anyone point out what I am doing wrong.

As someone else has pointed out "grep" is not a native command on MS Windows. To make it easier to setup Emacs on MS Windows I have therefor added grep and some other unix style programs to EmacsW32, see

  http://ourcomments.org/Emacs/EmacsW32Util.html#featsum