Re: Local variables not being defined

From: ken
Subject: Re: Local variables not being defined
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2007 14:44:30 -0500

On 01/25/2007 11:20 AM somebody named Harald Hanche-Olsen wrote:
> + ken <gebser@speakeasy.net>:
>
> | I've got the following at the end of the current buffer (an html file,
> | if that matters):
>
> It does matter, because your HTML won't be valid.
>
> | <!--
> | Local variables:
> | html-helper-timestamp-end: "hhmts end -->"
> | html-helper-timestamp-start: "<!-- hhmts start"
> | End:
> | -->
>
>>From the HTML point of view, this contains two comments with this text
> between them:
>
> "
> html-helper-timestamp-start: "
>
> You might wish to just omit the > and < characters from the two
> strings to avoid confusing the HTML parser.
>
> Apart from that, though, your example works for me.  Must be some
> other reason why it doesn't work for you.

Tnx, Harald,

After taking out the html commenting syntax, it's still not working for
me.  I found that I'm getting this error message (the "Fontifying..."
message in the minibuffer must have been hiding it before):

File local-variables error: (error "Local variables entry is missing the
prefix")

So what does this error message mean and/or what should I do about it?