Re: I can't visualize any file in the Emacs

From: Giorgos Keramidas
Subject: Re: I can't visualize any file in the Emacs
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2007 21:10:47 +0200

On Mon, 29 Jan 2007 05:57:50 -0800 (PST), Amanda Ortega
<amandaortega@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi, I'm starting to use Emacs, but I can't visualize any file. I only can see
> small squares where it would have to be chars (letters, numbers, etc). I
> don't know what to do. Do I have to install any other package? I have
> installed these packages until now:

This usually means that two things are happening:

  * You are starting Emacs with a locale/language-environment XX

  * You are using a default font for Emacs which cannot display
    characters in the XX encoding.

How are you starting Emacs?  What is your default language environment?