emacs 21.1 color highligh

From: Ask
Subject: emacs 21.1 color highligh
Date: 30 Jan 2007 04:20:01 -0800

Hi

I am using Emacs 21.1 using ssh client (windows machine) on a Unix/
Linux server. Emacs opens the file in console itself which I am fine
with. X-type of environment my ssh client is incapable of providing.
Even though it is emacs *21.1*, it doesn't show the color higlighting.
I did execute Alt-X font-lock-mode. All it did, instead of showing
colors, made language constructs for exampke keywords, comments etc
bolder. My console still looked Black & White. I noticed I was using
bash shell and TERM was set to vt100.

What am I missing to get the colors seen ?

Thanks