Re: emacs 21.1 color highligh

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: emacs 21.1 color highligh
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2007 16:59:29 -0000

Phil Jackson <nntp@shellarchive.co.uk> wrote:
> Thomas Dickey <dickey@saltmine.radix.net> writes:

>> Phil Jackson <nntp@shellarchive.co.uk> wrote:

>>> xterm
>>> xterm-color
>>> xterm-256color
>>> dtterm
>>
>> He's probably running PuTTY (set TERM to "putty").
>> None of the other suggestions are likely to be correct.

> Don't forget that Emacs parses the termcap entries too and on SunOS 5.9
> putty has no definition, so actually, it's much less likely to work than
> the above list.

Still no: xterm-color and xterm-256color would be defined in ncurses,
which means he would have putty.  (As noted, there's no clue regarding
the platform other than "Unix/Linux" - unless you examine the profile
in google, and see that none of the postings apply to Solaris - all are
Linux or C).

So assuming he's got a regular terminfo database (not one of the
lobotomized ones), he's got putty.

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net