Re: Local variables not being defined

From: Kevin Rodgers
Subject: Re: Local variables not being defined
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2007 22:17:53 -0700

martin rudalics wrote:
 > And hack-local-variables does search for the exact "Local Variables:"
 > string, so should not have found an occurrence with a lower case `v' and
 > missing colon:

I don't know about the missing colon, but

 -- User Option: case-fold-search
     This buffer-local variable determines whether searches should
     ignore case.  If the variable is `nil' they do not ignore case;
     otherwise they do ignore case.

hence

 >         (when (let ((case-fold-search t))
 >                 (search-forward "Local Variables:" nil t))
 >           (skip-chars-forward " \t")

does not look for the exact string.

Oops, I failed to actually read the code and just assumed it bound
case-fold-search to nil -- after all, the Emacs manual always
capitalizes both words.

So why does hack-local-variables bind case-fold-search to t?  Is that
not a bug?

--
Kevin Rodgers
Denver, Colorado, USA