Re: How to apply a minor mode to all buffers

From: Leonardo Boiko
Subject: Re: How to apply a minor mode to all buffers
Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2007 10:20:47 -0200

At Wed, 07 Feb 2007 12:22:54 -0500, Stefan Monnier wrote:
> > find-file-hook won’t apply to buffers unrelated to files, though.
> > after-change-major-mode-hook almost does the trick, but it still
> > doesn’t get fundamental-mode.
> Then report this with M-x report-emacs-bug.

I’m under the impression that this is intended behavior for
after-change-major-mode-hook; it is not supposed to be
fundamental-mode-hook.

My argument is: fundamental-mode-hook would be a nice thing to have
because people might want to run elisp code (not just to set
variables) every time a buffer is created.

> Then add it to those email-drafts buffers as well.  Otherwise you risk
> screwing up many more cases for buffers you don't think of
> (e.g. minibuffers, help buffers, ...).

I don’t care.  If I can edit it, I want any existing trailing
whitespace to be deleted, and I want show-trailing-whitespace to be
t.  If I can’t edit it, show-trailing-whitespace should be nil.

The only exception would be some editable mode in which trailing
whitespace is significant, but I can’t think of any.  They’d be so
exceptional that I’m willing to list them manually.

> If you just create a scratch buffer it won't have any data coming from nasty
> vi users (aka vi users).

True.  Then the automatic delete-trailing-whitespaces would be
redundant (but harmless).  However, I still want it to automatically
turn on show-trailing-whitespace.

--
Leonardo Boiko
http://namakajiri.net