Re: OT -- An extremely dumb curiosity question?

From: ken
Subject: Re: OT -- An extremely dumb curiosity question?
Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2007 12:00:36 -0500

Congratulations on your early retirement.  Wish I was there....

I've been using emacs for a long time-- somewhere around two decades.
I've done a *lot* of programming and have tried to made something with
elisp, but without the help of folks on this list, most of what I've
tried hasn't worked out.  So unless I've got tons of time on my hands
(never) and go in with no expectation of success, I just modify existing
elisp code.

I do use emacs every day though.  Except for when I pop into a file one
time in the day for just a few minutes, I use emacs for creating C code,
html docs, and flat ASCII files.  I use diary-mode too, but that's only
because there isn't a good linux app (that I know of) for keeping lots
of appointments.

I run a lot of other apps, so run emacs in its own window... most of the
time I have more than one emacs window (aka frame) open at the same time.

I tried a few times to use emacs for email, but the mail setup I have
(four or five accounts using IMAPS and TLS) is just too complicated to
set up in emacs.  It's even too hairy for me to do in pine.  It's a snap
in Thunderbird though.  Maybe someday....

Welcome to the list.  Have fun.

--
"The mark of a moderate man is freedom from his own ideas.
Tolerant like the sky all-pervading like sunlight, firm like a