Re: ediff on Win32

From: Bob Babcock
Subject: Re: ediff on Win32
Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2007 21:31:29 -0800

Kevin Rodgers <kevin.d.rodgers@gmail.com> wrote in
news:mailman.4166.1170922499.2155.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org:

> Stick with -q for now, just to simplify debugging the problem.
>
> How do you load ediff?  Try using --debug-init as well as -q,
> or `M-x set-variable RET debug-on-error RET t RET' after you've
> started emacs, and post the resulting *Backtrace* buffer.

Thanks for your suggestions.  Emacs starts cmdproxy.exe when ediff is
started.  If I use task manager to kill the process tree for cmdproxy
(killing just the process isn't enough), emacs 21 comes back to life (emacs
22 does not).  Then in the backtrace buffer, I see
(file-error "Searching for program" "no such file or directory" "diff3")
I didn't have diff3.exe in my emacs install directory (or anywhere else).

I tried diff3.exe from two sources:
http://www.tasoft.com/patches.html
http://sourceforge.net/projects/gnuwin32/
but neither works.  Only change is that if I run ediff-documentation and
kill the process tree, I actually get the documentation instead of an error
message (in emacs 21.3.1).

So I'm not sure if I just need a compatible diff3.exe or if something else
is wrong.

When I shutdown for the night after my earlier posting, I had a dozen
messages about cmdproxy not responding.  That was a not-very-subtle clue.