Re: Accents through Mac OS Terminal

From: Pascal Bourguignon
Subject: Re: Accents through Mac OS Terminal
Date: Fri, 09 Feb 2007 19:35:06 +0100

googlegroups@juicer.orange-carb.org writes:

> On Feb 9, 5:05 am, Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyba...@Web.DE> wrote:
>> No, I think it's rather the first item in the Emulation group: non-
>> ASCII characters to Esc sequences.
>
> I've tried with that toggled on and off. With it on I get a beep, with
> it off I get a tab for "option-e e" for example, other accents produce
> different effects.

I'm sorry, I don't have a MacOSX at hand, but it's an option to send
ESC when you type M- (Meta) vs. setting the 8th bit.  I don't think
it's related to this option to encode non-ASCII characters to ESC
sequences, which may be something related to ISO-2022 or something.

I wouldn't advise to activate this option, since ESC will be
interpreted by emacs as Meta, and you will have this behavior, that
when typing accented characters, they get converted into M- sequences
most of them not bound to any command, therefore emacs beeps.

Configure it to send ESC when you type Meta.  And since you want to
get accented characters by typing Option chords, find another key to
map to Meta.  For example Command.  If you don't have enough key,
forget it, and use a prefix ESC instead of Meta chords.

> In vi and at the shell this setting does not produce a difference.
> Accents work both with and without this option on.
>
> It seems as if emacs is just trying to interpret this character very
> differently than the shell or vi. Is it not possible to turn off
> emacs' interpretation of the character and just accept it as is?

"Logiciels libres : nourris au code source sans farine animale."