Re: Accents through Mac OS Terminal

From: googlegroups
Subject: Re: Accents through Mac OS Terminal
Date: 12 Feb 2007 13:16:31 -0800

I'm up and running. Because I'm using emacs on at least one FreeBSD 4
machine (no UTF-8 locales) I set it up slightly differently (in order
to preserve access to the accented characters at the shell prompt and
in other apps).

- Emacs 21.4 (version 20 did not seem to work)
- locale (shell's LANG envvar) set to en_CA.ISO8859-1
- Escape non-ASCII characters off (Terminal window setting)
- Character Set Encoding: Western ISO Latin 1 (Terminal window
setting)
- Use option key as meta key off (Terminal window setting)
- (set-terminal-coding-system 'iso-latin-1) in ~/.emacs
- (set-keyboard-coding-system 'iso-latin-1) in ~/.emacs

This combination worked. Thanks for your tip about the coding systems.
That, in concert with an upgrade to emacs 21.4 did the trick.

Cheers,
Colin