Re: Sociological Data Analysis with Emacs?

From: Jim Ottaway
Subject: Re: Sociological Data Analysis with Emacs?
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2007 13:27:17 +0000

> On 13 Feb 2007, sven bretfeld wrote:
[...]
> Wow, I'm glad to have started the thread. It may be worth to further develop
> your package. It's definitly something that is missing in the Emacs
> world. I don't know how to do it, but maybe it can be hosted on Sourceforge?
[...]
> That's of course a problem. But there are internet sites that list
> common QDA programmes, mostly propriatory ones. If an Emacs solution
> based on your package can reach the status of a beta-version it could
> be promoted via those sites. It could be the only QDA tool with the
> label "freeware". Not that I am thinking in terms of gratis software,
> but that's how these things usually start. It would also be one of the
> very few crossplatform QDA software. I think, it will be
> appreciated. That would mean more users for Emacs, more support for
> GNU.
> >
> > If you want to have a look, you can get it at
> > http://www.jeho.org/qda.tar.gz.
>
> Thank you very much. I have downloaded it while I've written my answer.

I was probably a bit rash posting the thing: I have had a couple of
private e-mails saying that it doesn't work, and that it is not clear
how to run the thing. It works for me, but it may depend on my Emacs
version, my Emacs setup idiosyncracies, and because I know what to do
with it. So don't expect too much of what you have downloaded!

Nevertheless, it's very encouraging to see such interest: I'll try to
get it into a workable and understandable state as soon as I can
[probably not for a couple of weeks though, I'm afraid], and I'll post
an announcement about it to comp.emacs.sources.

Regards,

--
Jim Ottaway