Re: How to get rid of Microsoft dumb quotes, e.g. \222 for apostrophe?

From: ken
Subject: Re: How to get rid of Microsoft dumb quotes, e.g. \222 for apostrophe?
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2007 17:22:47 -0500

On 02/16/2007 11:59 AM somebody named Brendan Halpin wrote:
> ken <gebser@speakeasy.net> writes:
>
> The problem may be that in passing through usenet and from one
> machine to another, the "garbage" characters got garbled -- in your
> version I see things that look like "Â\200" which indicates
> problems with multibyte characters.
>
> You could try deleting them and entering them again: to enter \200,
> for instance, do C-q 2 0 0 RET.

Cutting and pasting from an email, I get this (which in the email is an
em-dash):

—

Hmmm.  Funny.  When I cut-n-paste the string of chars from emacs back
into this Tbird compose window, it looks like an  em-dash again.  Here's
what C-x= tells it is (one character at a time):

ESC % G â \200 \224 ESC % @

How do I get emacs to understand that, i.e., to look for in order to
replace?

tnx++,
ken