Re: How to get rid of Microsoft dumb quotes, e.g. \222 for apostrophe?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: How to get rid of Microsoft dumb quotes, e.g. \222 for apostrophe?
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2007 12:29:10 -0500

> Moreover, MS files often contain "characters" such as "—", their
> extraordinary rendition of an em-dash.

Luckily I have no idea what you're talking about.

> True, the elisp code could use the more efficient code when searching
> for a single-byte character, but for the sake of uniformity and to make
> modification of the code easier, the less efficient code is preferable.
>  Moreover, coding efforts to increase efficiency are typically secondary
> to those which result in code that works.  And we don't have that yet.

There's of course no perfect answer.  My main change was to go from the
single special char \200 to the \ 2 0 0 escape sequence, which should make
things more reliable.

The change from strings to char, was just a particular decision which made
sense in this particular context, but of course, it's not always better.

        Stefan