Re: Xemacs

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Xemacs
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2007 08:55:09 +0100

John Oliver <joliver@john-oliver.net> writes:

> I set up several users with the Cygwin X server so they can export
> the display of X apps to their Windows desktops.  One user, who has
> a dual-boot system (Red Hat 8.0 and Windows XP) has a problem with
> Xemacs in both Linux and Windows... she has the icons for things
> like New Document, etc. but does not have the "word" menus along the
> top... you know, File, Edit, etc.  When she first starts emacs,
> they're there for a split second, and then it sort of "flashes" and
> the menus disappear to leave only the icons.  Any ideas why that
> would be?

This sort of reminds me of an old problem with AUCTeX.  Use the XEmacs
package manager to uninstall AUCTeX.  If your user actually needs
XEmacs for editing TeX files, fetch the latest XEmacs package from the
download page of AUCTeX <URL:http://www.gnu.org/software/auctex> and
install it (it is _not_ distributed by XEmacs).

Alternatively, download a pretest version of Emacs for Windows with
AUCTeX preinstalled from that download site.  It may cause less
trouble in the long run.  In particular, it is pretty much impossible
to get a hold of a robust XEmacs capable of dealing with utf-8 in a
painless way.

Note that RedHat 8.0 is an old system: it may be worth checking the
requirements for AUCTeX with regard to XEmacs versions before trying
to update AUCTeX.  Similarly, the Cygwin XEmacs you use may be old.

I have directed followups to this posting to the group
comp.emacs.xemacs which is more appropriate since you are experiencing
an XEmacs-only problem.