Re: set-frame-font question

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: set-frame-font question
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2007 06:19:23 +0200

> From: "B. T. Raven" <ecinmn@alcisp.com>
> Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2007 17:17:24 -0600
>
> At the beginning of my .emacs I have this form:
>
> (setq initial-frame-alist '((name . "arial") (top . 370) (left . 1) (width
> . 163) (height . 17)))
>
> And at the end:
>
> (custom-set-faces
>   ;; custom-set-faces was added by Custom.
>   ;; If you edit it by hand, you could mess it up, so be careful.
>   ;; Your init file should contain only one such instance.
>   ;; If there is more than one, they won't work right.
>  '(default ((t (:stipple nil :background "ghostwhite" :foreground "black"
> :inverse-video nil :box nil :strike-through nil :overline nil :underline
> nil :slant normal :weight normal :height 108 :width normal :family
> "outline-arial unicode ms")))))
>

> and these to make a frame for looking at things that don't play well with
>
> (make-frame '((name . "courier")
>                (top . 1) (left . 1) (width . 98) (height . 17)
>                (visibility . icon) ; nil or icon
>                (font . "-outline-Courier
> New-normal-r-normal-normal-*-*-96-96-c-*-iso10646-1")))
>
> (select-frame-by-name "courier")
>
> These work all right in version 21.3 but not in the latest snapshot of 22.

Please explain what you mean by ``work''.  You didn't say what you
thought these customizations should do, in your opinion, and without
that it's very hard to guess what's wrong with them.

What I see is that you customized the initial frame and the default
face, that's all.

> However, if I go to the "courier" frame and issue M-x set-frame-font, it
> works okay. Does any of you have any idea why it can't be set from the
> init file? --debug-init doesn't complain, it just leaves it with the
> default proportional font and so gets the frame geometry wrong.

Do you want all frames to use the outline-arial font?  Is that it?  If
so, did you try customizing default-frame-alist to specify that?