Re: set-frame-font question

From: B. T. Raven
Subject: Re: set-frame-font question
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2007 23:29:19 -0600

"Eli Zaretskii" <eliz@gnu.org> wrote in message
news:mailman.4714.1171858764.2155.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org...
> > From: "B. T. Raven" <ecinmn@alcisp.com>
> > Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2007 17:17:24 -0600
> >
> > At the beginning of my .emacs I have this form:
> >
> > (setq initial-frame-alist '((name . "arial") (top . 370) (left . 1)
(width
> > . 163) (height . 17)))
> >
> > And at the end:
> >
> > (custom-set-faces
> >   ;; custom-set-faces was added by Custom.
> >   ;; If you edit it by hand, you could mess it up, so be careful.
> >   ;; Your init file should contain only one such instance.
> >   ;; If there is more than one, they won't work right.
> >  '(default ((t (:stipple nil :background "ghostwhite" :foreground
"black"
> > :inverse-video nil :box nil :strike-through nil :overline nil
:underline
> > nil :slant normal :weight normal :height 108 :width normal :family
> > "outline-arial unicode ms")))))
> >

> > and these to make a frame for looking at things that don't play well
with

> > (make-frame '((name . "courier")
> >                (top . 1) (left . 1) (width . 98) (height . 17)
> >                (visibility . icon) ; nil or icon
> >                (font .
"-outline-Courier New-normal-r-normal-normal-*-*-96-96-c-*-iso10646-1")))

> > (select-frame-by-name "courier")
> >
> > These work all right in version 21.3 but not in the latest snapshot of
22.

> Please explain what you mean by ``work''.  You didn't say what you
> thought these customizations should do, in your opinion, and without
> that it's very hard to guess what's wrong with them.
>
> What I see is that you customized the initial frame and the default
> face, that's all.
>
> > However, if I go to the "courier" frame and issue M-x set-frame-font,
it
> > works okay. Does any of you have any idea why it can't be set from the
> > init file? --debug-init doesn't complain, it just leaves it with the
> > default proportional font and so gets the frame geometry wrong.
>
> Do you want all frames to use the outline-arial font?  Is that it?  If
> so, did you try customizing default-frame-alist to specify that?

Thanks for your attention to this, Eli. No, I wanted only 2 frames, the
initial one using arial (proportional) sized and placed in the bottom half
of the screen and another (Courier New, a fixed width font) in the top
half for viewing the calendar. In version 21.3 with the above code in
.emacs I got exactly this result, a nicely aligned calendar in the
"courier" frame and the "ariel" frame showing everything in a proportional
font. In version 22.0.93 both frames are using ariel as if the make-frame
function didn't call for Courier New. In addition, the frame named
"courier" is now incorrectly sized since it is using the wrong font. With
C-h v I see that default-frame-alist seems to have inherited (if that's
the right word) some settings from the custom-set-faces function:

"
default-frame-alist is a variable defined in `C source code'.
Its value is
((foreground-color . "black")
 (background-color . "ghostwhite")
 (tool-bar-lines . 0)
 (menu-bar-lines . 1)
 (right-fringe)
 (left-fringe))
"

I edited the >> quoted text  above in this posting to explictly show the
space in the "Courier New" font name. Is this handled differently in 21.3
and 22.0?