Re: need advice about fixing up my new vimpact-mode, a Vim emulation mod

From: Lennart Borgman (gmail)
Subject: Re: need advice about fixing up my new vimpact-mode, a Vim emulation mode based on viper-mode
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2007 16:49:02 +0100

Jason Spiro wrote:
Hi help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org readers,

Hi Jason,

Nice to see you are interested in Viper.

Here are my design goals:

* I plan for all all viper and vimpact functions and customizable
variables to have the same prefix, "viper-".  I don't want some to
begin with "viper-" and some to begin with "vimpact-".  That'd be
confusing.

Question 1:  Do you think I am right: is my way better than the other
option of having a mix of prefixes?

I think it would be better to use something like vimpact for the add-ons you make. But why not just vim- ?

* I'd prefer vimpact to be an add-on to viper, not a fork of it, since
I want vimpact to contain only vim-derived features, not all-new ones.

Question 2:  Do you think I am right about my add-on idea?  Or would
it be better if all or most of the vimpact-mode changes could somehow
be merged into viper-mode (perhaps I could do it)?

Yes, it must be an add-on and it can not be a major mode. (Merging with Viper would come much later when the add-on is stable and mature.)

Question 3:  How much time would it take me, a mediocre elisp coder,
to make vimpact into a proper minor mode that starts up viper-mode
then adds the vimpact customizations (the add-on idea from before)?
How much time would it take me to merge the vimpact-mode changes into
the viper source code?

Maybe the biggest problem is that you may need to familiarize yourself with the latest version of Viper and maybe its code too.

And I believe it would be a merit if you understand how to get the add-ons working smoothly with Viper.

Are you using Emacs 22? This is not yet released, but stable and in late beta-test. It comes with Viper and I think Viper has been much improved in that version.