Re: How to get rid of Microsoft dumb quotes, e.g. \222 for apostrophe?

From: ken
Subject: Re: How to get rid of Microsoft dumb quotes, e.g. \222 for apostrophe?
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2007 05:45:29 -0500

On 02/19/2007 09:00 PM somebody named Stefan Monnier wrote:
>>   (replace-string "—" "--" nil (point-min) (point-max)) ; multi-byte
> [...]
>> Also, multi-byte strings such as the first should be toward
>> the top of the list so that single-byte replacements don't
>> cut them up, making subsequent searches for them impossible.
>
> Huh?  There is no overlap between the single-char string "—" and the single
> char strings like "\221".  You can reorder them all you like.
>
> I'm not sure what you mean by "multi-byte", but it sounds like there might
> be some confusion here.
>

>         Stefan

When I copy-n-paste "—" into an emacs buffer, one of the (several) bytes
displayed is represented by '\224'.  I would assume that others will
find the same.  So then of course if I replace that byte, a subsequent
search for "—"  will fail... and leave behind the other garbage characters.

Have you tried to copy-n-paste "—" into an emacs buffer?  What do you
get?