Re: How to get rid of Microsoft dumb quotes, e.g. \222 for apostrophe?

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: How to get rid of Microsoft dumb quotes, e.g. \222 for apostrophe?
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2007 14:07:50 +0100

On 2/20/07, ken <gebser@speakeasy.net> wrote:

So the solution I was offering was intended for others (and
myself) who wish to retain their files in latin1 encoding.

I don't know what solution you were offering. I was specifically
answering this question:

"Have you tried to copy-n-paste "—" into an emacs buffer?  What do you get?"

And the answer is: in a multibyte buffer (latin-1, utf-8, etc), em dash.

Since I prefer to retain files in a format which will be readable by the
most people possible, I prefer to use latin1 encoding when- and wherever
feasible.

Then you obviously cannot save U+2014, which is not a latin character.

            Juanma