Re: need advice about fixing up my new vimpact-mode, a Vim emulation mod

From: Jason Spiro
Subject: Re: need advice about fixing up my new vimpact-mode, a Vim emulation mode based on viper-mode
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2007 18:24:03 -0500

Hi Michael, thanks for replying.

A new development: After sending out this email, Alessandro mailed me
privately about his own vim emulation code. I will send it to you
privately and also to whoever wants. It is public domain license; I
hope to rename the code and post it on EmacsWiki.

But my questions below still apply :-)

2007/2/19, Michael Kifer <kifer@cs.sunysb.edu> wrote:
[snip]
"Jason Spiro" <jasonspiro4@gmail.com> writes:
> http://www.jspiro.com/files/sw/vimpact-mode/vimpact-mode-0.0.1.el
I think it is not acceptable to use the same prefix as some other package
unless your package can be logically considered an extension of that other
package. Even then it might be better to use a different prefix.

Even though it can be confusing for users that a mode which is based
on another mode has 2 different prefixes? :-)

Yes. In fact, why can't it be just another viper keymap?

Because I think users will contribute more changes if the official
source sits on the EmacsWiki. It's simply easier to make changes. And
easier to roll back bad changes. :-)

Emacs is cool in that it's the only app I know of where many plugins
are editable text sitting on a wiki.

Eventually maybe. I haven't used vim extensively for a long time, but
what kind of essential functionality are you planning to add?

A few examples:

* Point movement features, gg
* Scrolling features, zt zb zz
* Search for word features, * #
* Tags support, C-] and C-t
* Undo/redo, u C-r
* Window manipulation, C-wC-w, C-wo, C-wc
* Expand abbreviation, C-n
* Visual mode commands, v, o, O, d, y, c
* split, vsplit, bdelete, bn

Here is an algorithm to measure the time:

1. Start by implementing exactly 1/2 of the vimpact-mode functionality.
2. Carefully measure the time it took you to do this.
3. Multiply that amount by 2 (that is number "two").
4. Add 20% to the result to cover various eventualities.

:-)

haha

--
Jason Spiro: computer consulting with a smile.
I also provide training and spyware removal services for homes and businesses.