Re: Debugging .emacs file

From: Kevin Rodgers
Subject: Re: Debugging .emacs file
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2007 21:51:23 -0700

SteveFKI wrote:
I am new to EMACS, and have created my own .emacs file (because I want to
learn how to do it from scratch). When I open a C file I get the message
"File mode specification error (wrong-type-argument : listp 3).

I would like to be able to debug my .emacs file, and see what is going on,
but if I start EMACS with emacs -debug-init test.c I don't get any debug
info. (This is obviosuly not the right thing to do).

You don't get a *Backtrace* buffer because the error does not occur while your .emacs file is loaded, it occurs later (due to something in
your .emacs file).

Try starting Emacs like this:

emacs --eval '(setq debug-on-error t)' test.c

--
Kevin Rodgers
Denver, Colorado, USA