Re: emms help

From: Jay Belanger
Subject: Re: emms help
Date: Sun, 04 Mar 2007 18:35:40 -0600

Hadron <hadronquark@gmail.com> writes:
> Yup. In emacs world, people sometimes forget the little guy and the fact
> that not everyone has the time or patience to read a whole lisp manual
> to do something as mundane as expect a function called "emms-browser" to
> actually "browse" the top level of a directory tree.

Directories aren't the only things that are browsed; in this case a
cache is browsed.  Reading the whole info file for emms isn't
necessary; the "Basic commands" page should get you started listening
to music.  That page contains plenty of "emms-play-..." commands.
But it wouldn't be a bad idea (in my opinion) if when emms tries to
browse an empty cache a short help screen popped up; something like
  Welcome to EMMS.
  The emms cache, which contains the songs that emms can browse, is
  currently empty.  To populate it, you may wish to use one of the
  following commands:
  M-x emms-add-directory-tree:  Add all music files contained in a
      directory or its subdirectories.
  M-x emms-add-directory:  Add all music files contained in a directory.
  M-x emms-add-file:  Add a single music file.
  etc."

Jay