Re: can't close *Completions*

From: Kevin Rodgers
Subject: Re: can't close *Completions*
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2007 21:30:39 -0700

Andrew Yates wrote:
When I use comint-dynamic-complete-filename, the frame is split and a
*Completions* window is opened. At the bottom of *Completions*, it
says "Hit space to flush." Pressing space immediately does close
*Completions*, but if I press any other key before pressing space,
space no longer closes the window. I can close it with kill-buffer or
by switching to that buffer and closing it, but that's inefficient.

What about `C-x 1'?

Is there a way to make RET close the buffer, just as space does? I'm
using that function for file completion in a terminal, so closing it
with RET makes sense in this case.

Hmmm, RET is bound to comint-send-input, and SPC is handled by
comint-dynamic-list-completions, neither of which is easily customized.

Here's what I would try:

(defadvice comint-send-input (after undisplay-completions activate)
  "If the *Completions* buffer is displayed in the selected frame,
restore the previous window configuration."
  (when (and (get-buffer-window "*Completions*")
             comint-dynamic-list-completions-config)
    (set-window-configuration comint-dynamic-list-completions-config)))

--
Kevin Rodgers
Denver, Colorado, USA