Is it possible to show the binding name in the echo area automatically?

From: E'Chao Zhang
Subject: Is it possible to show the binding name in the echo area automatically?
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2007 22:08:40 +0800

I'm quite new here and I tried searching the archive. Please my question appeared before, please excuse me and point me to the answer.

I just experienced some unfortunate incident. Some mode overrode the M-. binding. I failed to notice the fact until very later - partly because I'm quite new in using emacs. I wonder if there is some variable to set and then emacs will automatically print the binding name before and while executing the command bound by the key strokes. I heard that emacs can suggest-key-bindings. If it can suggest binding names, I think it'd be more convenient to the new hands.

I'd appreciate any help. Thanks a lot.
E'Chao