Re: replacing characters and whacky trans-buffer conversion

From: ken
Subject: Re: replacing characters and whacky trans-buffer conversion
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2007 20:11:53 -0500

On 03/07/2007 04:30 PM somebody named Peter Dyballa wrote:

> Am 07.03.2007 um 22:03 schrieb ken:
>
>> Sorry... in the below it should say 5542 instead of 5442.
>
> Sorry, doesn't work like that in my GNU Emacs 22.0.93! I have both
> times, in UTF-8 encoded buffers, the Greek small letter beta, i.e.
> ``β´´. And I use C-u C-x = to determine what it is.
>
> Can you take a bit of care on the few characters left of the leftmost
> ``:´´ in the mode-line? These characters, by which the mode-line
> actually starts on the left, show the encoding used in that buffer. This
> information is as important as the name of the currency unit on your
> coins or bank-notes. I mean, what are 1 million Lire?!

The first buffer is a *scratch* buffer, the modeline starts "--:".  The
second contains the *.el file mentioned in the original post; its
modeline begins "-:".

Good analogy about currency.  Via email I get all kinds.  I want to
convert it all into something I can use... otherwise it's garbage.  So I
want to convert it into something I can use.  But emacs isn't letting me
convert it because it's converting it to something else which it won't
let me insert into my conversion function's buffer/file.

--
"Genius might be described as a supreme capacity for getting its
possessors into trouble of all kinds."