Re: Timezone change in US

From: James Cloos
Subject: Re: Timezone change in US
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2007 12:48:24 -0400

>>>>> "Chris" == Chris McMahan <first_initiallastname@one.dot.net> writes:

Chris> All other clocks (including the clock that my shell prompt
Chris> displays) are correct. I launch emacs from the tcsh shell as
Chris> well, so if it's getting the time from there then it should be
Chris> correct.

Probably a stupid question, but what happens if you set your TZ
variable to just 'EST5EDT'?  Or 'EST5EDT4,M3.2.0/2:00,M11.1.0/2:00'?

02:00 is the default for the time string, so this should be the same
as what you had:  'EST5EDT4,M3.2.0,M11.1.0'.  Does that work?

The 4 after EDT is also superfluous.  So each of these may be worth
a try:

EST5EDT,M3.2.0/2,M11.1.0/2
EST5EDT,M3.2.0/2:00,M11.1.0/2:00
EST5EDT,M3.2.0,M11.1.0

I just tried your TZ setting on my linux box, and it did the right
thing (matching the output of TZ=US/Eastern or TZ=America/New_York
with a current zoneinfo database).  So this is a win32 or mingw32
specific bug.  And using M3.3.0 instead of M3.2.0 has the expected
result of pushing off the DST transition one week, so the full TZ
syntax is getting properly parsed.

If you compiled emacs yourself, I'd suggest running in gdb with
a breakpoint at Fcurrent_time_zone (cf emacs/etc/DEBUG).  It is
probably the only good way to debug this.  (You could also try
adding some fprintf(3) calls in Fcurrent_time_zone and tm_diff
to see what is happening if you do not have gdb.  I'd print to
STDERR and redirect that to a file.)

-JimC
--
James Cloos <cloos@jhcloos.com>         OpenPGP: 1024D/ED7DAEA6