Re: Donot want to see default buffers

From: Robert Thorpe
Subject: Re: Donot want to see default buffers
Date: 13 Mar 2007 10:44:22 -0700

On Mar 12, 5:07 pm, "rgb" <rbiel...@i1.net> wrote:
> On Mar 11, 11:58 am, "CloudStrife" <santosh.iitm2...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> > I donot want to see the default buffers like scratch Messages
> > Completions etc in C-x C-b . Can anyone help me out. I am new to emacs
> > and the simpler the solution the better it is.
> > Regards
> > Cloud
>
> The very simplest answer is to use C-u C-x C-b

And to be extra sneaky you can do:-

(defun list-buffers (&optional files-only)
  "Display a list of names of existing buffers.
The list is displayed in a buffer named `*Buffer List*'.
Note that buffers with names starting with spaces are omitted.
Non-null optional arg FILES-ONLY means mention only file buffers.

The M column contains a * for buffers that are modified.
The R column contains a % for buffers that are read-only."
  (interactive "P")
  (display-buffer (list-buffers-noselect (not files-only))))

Which reverse the meanings, so C-x C-b shows only file buffers and C-u
C-x C-b shows all.

There are several buffer listing systems in Emacs you can choose
according to taste standard list-buffers, bs-show and iswitchb.  You
could do this using iswitchb as B.T.Raven points out.  Also the bs-
show system automatically only lists buffers associated with files.