Re: Split frame?

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: Split frame?
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2007 20:33:31 +0100

"Vols" <volunteers@gmail.com> writes:

Hi,

> I have 3 file in one frame, say file1.c, file2.c and file3.c I use
> 'C-x 3' to split the frame vertically.

You confuse frames and windows. Please have a look at

,----[ (info "(emacs)Buffers") ]
`----

,----[ (info "(emacs)Windows") ]
`----

,----[ (info "(emacs)Frames") ]
`----

> The problem is these two frames are identical.

Those two _windows_ display the same _buffers_.

> When I open a 'file4.c' in left frame, it appears in right frame too.

Sure, cause both windows are associated with the same buffer.

> How to make these two frames independent?

You have to switch to another buffer in one of the windows. You do that
with `C-x b' (`switch-buffer'). There are many different modes and
functions for fast and convenient buffer switching/maneuvering like
`ibuffer' and `ido', just to name a few. Have a look at the docs and
www.emacswiki.org.

Bye,
Tassilo
--
The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty: it's twice as big as it
needs to be.