Re: Problem with AucTeX and Path

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Problem with AucTeX and Path
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2007 22:56:48 +0100

Alberto Simões <albie@alfarrabio.di.uminho.pt> writes:

> I am trying to use AucTeX and compile directly a latex file using PdfLaTeX.
>
> After calling pdflatex, I get:
>  Running `LaTeX' on `NATools' with ``pdflatex
> "\nonstopmode\input{NATools.tex}"''
>  /bin/sh: line 1: pdflatex: command not found
>
> In my shell:
>  [ambs@Diabelli ACL2007]$ which pdflatex
>  /usr/texbin/pdflatex
>
> And in my .emacs:
>
>  (custom-set-variables
>   ;; custom-set-variables was added by Custom.
>   ;; If you edit it by hand, you could mess it up, so be careful.
>   ;; Your init file should contain only one such instance.
>   ;; If there is more than one, they won't work right.
>  '(TeX-PDF-mode t)
>  '(c-default-style "stroustrup")
>  '(cperl-electric-parens-mark nil)
>  '(exec-path (quote ("/sw/bin" "/usr/bin" "/bin" "/usr/sbin" "/sbin"
> "/opt/libexec/emacs/22.0.50/powerpc-apple-darwin8.1.0"
> "/usr/texbin")))
>   [...]
>
> What am I doing wrong?

exec-path is useless here, since pdflatex is called through a shell.
Use PATH.

>From INSTALL.windows:

     If the configuration script failed to find all required programs,
     make sure that these programs are in your system path and add
     directories containing the programs to the `PATH' environment
     variable if necessary.  Here is how to do that in W2000/XP:

       1. On the desktop, right click "My Computer" and select
          properties.

       2. Click on "Advanced" in the "System Properties" window.

       3. Select "Environment Variables".

       4. Select "path" in "System Variables" and click "edit".  Move
          to the front in the line (this might require scrolling) and
          add the missing path including drive letter, ended with a
          semicolon.