Re: getting rid of ^M displayed by emacs-w3m

From: Alexey Pustyntsev
Subject: Re: getting rid of ^M displayed by emacs-w3m
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2007 08:07:15 +1100

> Am 24.03.2007 um 19:27 schrieb Alexey Pustyntsev:
>
>> it should be solved by default
>
> You could consider to set a default encoding, and that encoding's
> name should end in -mac, because it's a Mac feature to end lines with
> Carriage Return. Or are the lines ending in Carriage Return + Line
> Feed? Then a -dos ending of the encoding's name is more suitable.
>
>       set-default-coding-systems
>       prefer-coding-system
>       setq default-file-name-coding-system
>       setq default-buffer-file-coding-system
>
> I am not a regular user of w3m. When I used it I never encountered
> such an effect.
>
> --
> Greetings
>
>   Pete

Thanks for the comments. I am using GNU/Linux on a P4 box. w3m is
really handy. As I said earlier, w3m displays everything fine in
terminal, and my default coding system is utf-8 (both OS and emacs).

Below are the snippets from the html source of the pages in question.

----------------------start snippet 1---------------------------
;; -- put to distinguish the snippet from quoted text

;; >&#13;     <A
;; HREF="preface.html#contributors"
;; >And several others</A
;; >

----------------------end snippet 1-----------------------------

----------------------start snippet 2---------------------------
;; -- put to distinguish the snippet from quoted text

;; ><P
;; >&#13;   PHP supports eight primitive types.
;;   </P
;; ><P
;; >&#13;   Four scalar types:

^M comes after '>' and before 'And several' in the first snippet and
after '&#13' and before 'PHP supports' or 'Four scalar' in the
second. It seems there are no line feeds there.

I am inclined to think it is the problem of emacs-w3m, (not emacs, not
w3m), I am unsure, though.

--
Rgds
Alexey

Today is Prickle-Prickle, the 11st day of Discord in the YOLD 3173