Re: "source" shell commands

From: Matthew Flaschen
Subject: Re: "source" shell commands
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2007 05:59:29 -0400

Peter Dyballa wrote:
>> That's not desirable, because ~/.rc is supposed to be usable by multiple
>> shells.
>
> OK. Can distinguish between interactive and non-interactive goodies?

I figured that out the hard way just before your email.  What I did is
break out the "interactive code" (aliases and function definitions) from
the environment variables.  The interactive stuff is now in ~/.rc , and
loaded by each shell (.bashrc and .zshrc).  The environment exports are
in ~/.env , which is sourced by ~/.kde/env/kde.sh

> mean: has the shell interpreter, that executes a shell script, to know
> all the shell functions and shell aliases you need for your more or less
> interactive doing?

No it doesn't, as I've now grasped.  Nor does emacs or the rest of the
GUI apps, so it's better of separate.

Best,

Matthew Flaschen