Re: Where is config?

From: Colin S. Miller
Subject: Re: Where is config?
Date: Mon, 09 Apr 2007 21:30:41 +0100

Grigory Temchenko wrote:
On Apr 9, 6:19 pm, Hadron <hadronqu...@gmail.com> wrote:

I'm confused. What has the above got do with what he was asking for
which is ~/.emacs isn't it?

I might not know what is ~/ I should know what is My Computer icon.

P.S. %-)

Grigory,

~/  is your home directory on Unix-type OSes. Unix uses / as
the directory separator, MS-Windows uses \

~/ is equivalent to c:\Documents and Settings\<user name> on MS-Windows.

To set the home environmental variable select (from memory, might not be
exactly correct),
select

Start/Settings/Control Panel
System entry
Advanced tab
Environmental Variables button

You should have two lists of variables, the top is for yourself,
and the bottom for other users of your machine.

Select "Add new variable" for the top list,
enter "HOME" for the name, and
"c:\Documents and Settings\Grigory\Application Data"
for the value, assuming you log into MS-Windows as "Grigory"

You can open "~\.emacs.el" in emacs;
emacs will expand ~\ to the correct directory.

BTW,
are you running MS-Windows Vista?
IIRC, it causes some issues with Emacs,
there should be more information on the wiki,
or you can search the web/this usenet group.

HTH,
Colin S. Miller

--
Replace the obvious in my email address with the first three letters of the
hostname to reply.