Re: 8-bit characters input

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: 8-bit characters input
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2007 18:41:01 -0400

>>> C-v C-h l
>>
>> Hmm... that's odd.. And that's with OSX's Terminal.app?
>> I get full utf-8 coding there, without having changed any part of the config.

> Yes, OSX's Terminal.app.
> I actually have customized the Terminal config somehow a long time ago, to
> be able to correctly input and read utf-8 in Terminal itself...

Hmm... for me it just worked out of the box.

>> I'm not sure what you mean by "configured as xterm-color".

> I mean that OSX's Terminal is set, through its preferences, to declare the
> terminal type as xterm-color. Or, in other words, that the env var $TERM is
> set to "xterm-color".

I see.  Then this setting should have no impact on this present problem.

> in my ~/.emacs file, and deactivating that Terminal option when I'm on OSX;
> the only problem is that I need that option to correctly input 8-bit chars
> in Terminal's "normal" usage, i.e. when using it locally, without connecting
> to a remote machine... I'll try to live with it.

I don't use OSX any more, so I can't check it out, but I've never needed
this "escape non-ascii chars" for anything.  I'd deactivate it and if you
encounter problems when using some other program in Terminal, try to figure
out how to adjust the configuration of that program.

        Stefan