Re: color customisation and multiple windows

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: color customisation and multiple windows
Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2007 14:49:12 +0300

> From: arildna@gmail.com
> Date: 14 Apr 2007 03:25:26 -0700
>
> A friend spent quite some time on doing a color customization which I
> am quite happy with (though if anyone has tips for other color schemes
> that they think would work better, feel free to comment). The problem
> is that when I create a new window with C-x-5-2, the background color
> for some reason changes from black to white, making a lot of the text
> almost unreadable.

This happens because you used incorrect customizations:

> (set-foreground-color "DarkGoldenrod1")
> (set-background-color "black")

These apply only to the initial frame.  When you create other frames
with `C-x 5 2', their colors and faces use the default values.  See
the documentation of these two functions (accessible with `C-h f').

Instead, use something like this:

 (add-to-list 'default-frame-alist '(foreground-color . "DarkGoldenrod1"))

and similarly for the background color.

This is explained in the Emacs user manual, in the node named
"Creating Frames".  I suggest to take a few minutes and read that.