Re: Problem binding to a key

From: Cecil Westerhof
Subject: Re: Problem binding to a key
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2007 09:33:13 +0200

Tim X wrote:
>> I got what I tried to do out of 'Learning GNU Emacs', pages 160 and 161.
>> But it does not work. For example for the keybinding they give:
>>   C-x C-k b
>> But then I get:
>>   Key sequence b is not a keyboard macro
>>
>> That is a big oops for O'Reilly.
>>

> Possibly not. That book is fairly old I think and emacs key binding may
> have changed since it was written.

I have edition 3 from 2005, so that is not very old I would think, but that
could explain it,

>> I tried to use the reserved keys, but that is not possible. What is a
>> good way to select keys for binding macro's to?
>>

> What I tend to do is use C-h b to get a list of the key bindings used in
> the mode you want to bind the key for and then search for one that is not
> used. I then might use C-h k to verify the key bind I plan to use is not
> already used.

You still have the possibility that a key that you pick that is not used,
will be used in a new installed mode. Properly I need to accept this risk.

> There use to be a key binding FAQ posted to this list on a regular basis.
> However, I've not seen it for quite some time now. I'm sure if you google
> you will find a copy. It contains some good advice on key binding etc.

The best copy I could find was one that had Emacs 20 as the latest version.
So the book is better I am afraid.

Well, instead of using an user key binding, I just will use a free key
binding.