Re: Problem binding to a key

From: Tim X
Subject: Re: Problem binding to a key
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2007 16:46:54 +1000

Cecil Westerhof <dummy@dummy.nl> writes:

> Cecil Westerhof wrote:
>>> Possibly not. That book is fairly old I think and emacs key binding may
>>> have changed since it was written.
>>
>> I have edition 3 from 2005, so that is not very old I would think, but
>> that could explain it,
>
> It is a big oops, It says in the preface that it specifically covers 21.3
> and even more specifically covers 21.3.5. I have Emacs 21.3.1, so there
> should not be a problem.
> Properly they did not check the macro stuff before releasing the book.

It would seem so. I had this book many years ago and didn't realise they were
still updating and releasing it. You should send in an errata report to
O'Reilly (or check the errata for that book, maybe it ahs alrady been picked
up.).

I guess this is one of the dangers of releasing later editions. I suspect there
was some time between version releases, so its not surprising they have missed
some of the changes.

I had both the Learning Emacs Lisp and Programming Emacs Lisp" back around
95-96 or so. While I found them OK, I have to say they are two of my least used
O'Reilly books. I purchased them when I was first using emacs and in the end
found the best references were actually the on line tutorial, the Introduction
to Emacs book by Robert Chassel, the emacs manual  and the elisp reference
manual. Robert's Introduction book is a really good starting place (I think
they are bundling it with emacs 22 now along with the elisp manual).

With respect to the key binding guide, I've found that its a pretty good
reference even if it refers to emacs 20. It provides some good explination of
the various key binding approaches and advice on how to select the appropriate
bindings for both personal use and when defining new packages etc.

Tim

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au