Re: Reading from minibuffer with default value when return pressed

From: Nordlöw
Subject: Re: Reading from minibuffer with default value when return pressed
Date: 22 Apr 2007 11:07:26 -0700

Hey there, Emacs-Hackers!

Sorry, I accidentally sent this post before it was finished... Here is
the correct version:

I am trying enhance my grep wrapper with the common logic that propose
a default argument like

Grep for string (some-default-string):

preferrably using (thing-at-point 'symbol)

and that it defaults to this "some-default-string" when I press return
only.

I thought the following code should work but it doesn't
(read-from-minibuffer "Grep for string: " nil nil nil nil "default"
nil)

Do I need to use an alternative to read-from-minibuffer() or have I
missed
something?

Many thanks in advance,
Per Nordlöw